Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Any Way You Want It

Do you ever find that you are trying to tell God how to fix your life? There is an old yiddish proverb that goes:
"If you want to see God laugh tell Him your plans."

I felt a loving but firm rebuke from God while I was praying yesterday. He seemed to say to me "Why don't you trust me to take care of you as I see fit?" I shut up and closed my prayer time with repentance and the phrase "any way You want it." God is helping me to step aside and let Him be the Omnipotent, Sovereign of the Universe.
Perhaps I am learning (process..not near completion) that He does just fine without my help or my plans.
Am I the only blogger who struggles with this?

2 comments:

gracebolton said...

No, my dear Papa, you're not alone. On Aug 28, 2007, I threw up my hands and said something to the effect of "God's just going to have to figure this out, because I can't!" He responded despite my prideful petulance. On Aug 29, 2007, David and I received the call about precious Peter. I am always amazed at the ways God loves me - even when I'm surly.

Rachel said...

No, not the only one. "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven." That has been my prayer of late. It is, I think, an excellent prayer because it moves me beyond the percieved immediacy of my needs (and really, myself) and causes me to release control to God. He is so much greater, afterall. I wonder why I hesitate to trust Him sometimes.