Thursday, September 4, 2008

Leadership Challenges - Part 2

Here's the second question: "What are the biggest challenges facing AMERICAN pastors?"
ET- "Teaching people to be real and authentic when they see few real role models and don't want their pastors to be real either. Let me unpack that statement. If I grow up in a broken home, raised in daycare and government schools, I have very little contact with real people on a deep meaningful level. My only role models are on television and the web. These images are at best only partially real. They are cold and impersonal even in high definition. These folks are trained to be consumers, so church is also a commodity. I'll give my hour a week or better my 3.5 hours a month to the highest bidder. The one with the most lights, flash, best musicians and most entertaining speaker. Into that environment the local pastor is called to "preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching(2 Timothy 4:2 ESV)".
Church leaders - speak out...do you also see this as a problem?

No comments: