Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Saw Love Today

I am a firm believer that love is a choice not a feeling. So how did I see a choice? I was at St. Vincent’s Hospital today in Jacksonville, Florida and I saw love. Here’s what it looked like to me. Standing outside the hospital waiting for my mom to come to the car from her outpatient surgery I saw it. I was noticing a beautiful luxury car when the owners came out. They were a senior couple...probably in their sixties. He was a well dressed man, most likely a successful CEO or small business owner. He was smiling and pushing her wheelchair. I was watching their exchange. He was lovingly listening and smiling at his bride. Her frail frame and absence of hair revealed to me that she was probably receiving chemotherapy treatments for cancer. Her features revealed that she was probably the prom queen or at least a trophy wife. Now, emaciated and gaunt, she would no longer turn heads in the mall. NO ONE told him…his tender attentiveness and rapt attention screamed silently but loudly “I’m in love with this beautiful woman…In sickness and health…until death us do part.”

I couldn’t take my eyes off of them. I left there determined to be a better husband, father, friend and yes, lover. What about you? Have you seen love lately?

5 comments:

Beth Brawley Taylor said...

Wow...what a beautiful post! Will you marry me?

Eddie Taylor said...

yes...let's renew our vows...how about this weekend?

Eddie Taylor said...

or tonight?

Joylene Green said...

I feel a little bad reading these lovely couple comments... like I'm sneaking in on a private moment... yikes!

haha

anyway, loved the post!

Kathy Taylor Ganas said...

Wow...I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes...what a powerful vision of love...I'm so glad I had a hand in your raising!!!