Thursday, August 28, 2008

Responsiblity and Prayer

"To say that "prayer changes things" is not as close to the truth as saying, "Prayer changes me and then I change things." God has established things so that prayer, on the basis of redemption, changes the way a person looks at things. Prayer is not a matter of changing things externally, but one of working miracles in a person’s inner nature." Oswald Chambers, August 28

Many people want something or someone to step in and release them from personal responsibility. They buy a gym membership so that they won't have to workout. Some buy their children things or stay away so that they won't have to parent. Others still, whine and complain to God calling it prayer without adding their actions to prayer. In today's "My Utmost for His Highest", Oswald Chambers nails responsible prayer. In prayer the Spirit of God shapes me to be His willing accomplice in world redemption.
Long ago I heard someone define supernatural living as "my natural + God's super." That's a good definition. What happens in my family, church and community when I pray like it depends on God and work like I'm responsible for change? As I move out of prayer, living engulfed by love for God and people...miracles happen.
Understanding this fuels me to prayer more, not less. I am driven to spend more time with the Lover of my soul, not just a shopping list. Revolutionaries decide that they will live the difference, not just talk about or vote on it. Remember what happens in your house is just as important as what happens in the White House. Many would love for the President to fix all their problems...sorry...the King of the Universe has chosen that, empowered by Him, I would live my own life. Sorry, John...Barack.