Saturday, May 10, 2008

Reflection

Do you like looking in the mirror? Most of us don’t. We like traveling down the interstate of life at 75 miles per hour and ignoring the speedometer. Unfortunately, the only time we slow down to think is when we see flashing red lights in the rear view window. I’m not encouraging the self-focused, self-centered navel gazing that drives much of our society. I need a balanced introspection that works.

Helpful reflection should be led by the Holy Spirit not my needs or desires. King David, a pretty leader in his own right, gave us a formula for reflection. He writes

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!”(Psalms 139:23-24 ESV)
David understood that our Creator knows us better than we know ourselves. My reflection is driven by me: my thoughts, my ideas, and my reasoning. When God lovingly convicts me it is because He knows what is best for me. Rather than my mistakes handing me a costly citation, I’d rather have the God’s Word act as a gauge directing me back to safe travels.

I spend part of my devotional time reflecting on my life and leadership. How do you reflect?

No comments: