Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Waiting

I hate waiting. The very mention of the word sends shivers up my spine. Perhaps you too hate waiting. One of the strengths that moves me and you as leaders is the drive to get things done. Now! So I have trouble with this verse:
Isaiah 40:31 ESV but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
It bothers me. Not theologically but practically. My natural inclination is not to wait on the Lord but to help Him. Like the Omnipotent, Omniscient, Creator of the Universe needs my help. I am discovering, much to my chagrin, that there is actually renewal and rest in waiting on Him. Do you also struggle with waiting and patience? What do you do to help? (Comments please...now! LOL)

2 comments:

Billy Jennigns said...

Imagine me tyring to help someone with patience.....I have been dealing with the patience issue a lot lately. Sometimes when things begin to take so long I begin to wonder if I am outside of God's will somehow and not being obedient in some area realted to what I am waiting on. Someone shared a word of wisdom with me that really blew me away. With us all being created to have free will, sometimes the things we are waiting on take so long not because of what we are doing or God not wanting to move, but rather that there is someone somewhere else that is not listening to the voice of God that needs to move before the rest of the plan can be completed. Not sure if this makes scense, but I hope it helps.

Rachel said...

"The waiting is the hardest part..." or so Tom Petty would say and I'm inclined to agree. It's been weeks now that I've been waiting. I think, in my case at least, impatience is the symptom of deeper problems. If I am honest, my impatience serves to reveal the lies that I entertain - God doesn't know what he's doing, God doesn't care about me, God isn't powerful enough to move in this situation. The pridefulness of those statments is astounding and ugly but really quite human. It is the natural response, the most familiar path. In light of this, Psalm 130 and 131 have provided so much guidance and comfort. God's word has such a way of obliterating my pride and arrogance (I suppose that is way God intended it). What I get from those verses is simply this: all of the worries, all of the angles, all of the possible senarios, present everything to God. Be completely honest with Him and then wait with hope. Hope now, hope always.