Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Just plow through

Have you ever had a Monday when you just couldn't get motivated? (For me Tuesday is my Monday...Monday is my off day.) On those days you need to just plow through. You don't know what I mean by plow through? It means execute your tasks and lead even if you don't feel like it. In every area of life there are going to be times when you don't feel like doing the right thing (or sometimes anything).
I call it "plowing through" because no one enjoys every task all the time. Manual plowing with a horse or mule was hard hard work but without plowing there would be no harvest. Let me say that again: without plowing there would be no harvest. Everyone wants to reap the rewards of hard work but not everyone wants to plow through.
The difference between a leader and a follower is the ability to self-motivate. Anyone can lead if everything "feels right" and folks are applauding. Can you plow through when no one is watching and you don't feel like it?
I have tried to live by this leadership axiom: Feelings make a tremendous servant but a terrible master. Don't be jerked around by your feelings. Just plow through!

No comments: