Monday, February 18, 2008

My Bible Journey

Philippians 4:6 ESV do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayerand supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.


A couple of weeks ago I read that Mark Batterson writes down three things he’s grateful for everyday in his prayer journal. I have attempted to add this discipline to my life. Here are a couple of things that I have discovered:

  • I’m more positive. When I start my day being thankful I tend to “see” things from a more positive view point. My faith is growing as I position my heart to be more grateful for what God is doing in my life instead of focusing on what’s not happening.
  • I’m more prayerful. Instead of worrying, being grateful for what God has done in my life leads me to prayerfully give him today’s concerns. I lean more on His strength and less on my “brilliance or abilities”.
  • I’m more peaceful. I have a greater sense of God’s presence by thanking Him for several specific blessings He has provided in my life. I tend to stress less about my weaknesses and failures when I give Him credit for the successes.

This is in no way an exhaustive list of the benefits of being more grateful. (Sorry about the alliteration...it wasn't on purpose) Here’s your assignment: Why don’t you try for a couple of weeks and tell us all what good things thanksgiving is working in your life.

No comments: