Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Standard

I listened to a podcast by Bill Johnson today that was too good not to share some of my reflections on the talk:
Acts 10:38 ESV "how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him."

This verse has long been a key verse for my life and ministry. It is both comforting and challenging because it raises the standard for our lives as followers of Christ. Jesus lived an incredible life of helping people by the power of God because of his intimacy with the Father. This is the comfort: I can affect history in my generation! This is also the challenge: I must not disregard my moment in history.
Here's the convicting part..."for God was with him". The cost of intimacy is time and reputation. It takes time to dialogue and soak (thanks Ray) to grow close to Jesus. It cost reputation because society (and the church) rarely accepts those who look like Christ. Look what they did to Him... Is it worth it? You bet!
Someone once asked Churchill if he was afraid of how history would remember him. He replied "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Welcome Back, blogger!