Thursday, September 13, 2007

Temple of the Holy Spirit

I originally posted this onFebruary 25, 2006 on another blog site...
1 Corinthians 6: 18-20 "Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."Okay, so this morning I was thinking about this passage. It says ,"you are the temple..", in ancient greek literature that meant it was the center place of the temple or a shrine. That was the place where the god(s) supposedly dwelt. Paul uses this word in connection to sexual immorality on purpose. God is not only in heaven, through Holy Spirit, He is in all believers.That's why God calls us to holiness. He is worshipped in the beauty of holiness (Psalm 96:9). Because I am growing more and more in love with Him, I want Him more ard more at home in me. That's an amazing thought: the God of the Universe is comfortable in me. In me. Because He loves me and bought me at a terrible price, I 'm more than a fixer-upper, rental property, or a weekend getaway for Him. I'm His temple...the place fashioned for Him. The place most comfortable for Him to dwell. That kind of love empowers me beyond the earthy draw of sin. Me...His comfortable dwelling of choice.Now that's a big idea...at least for me.

No comments: